We are not roofers but we often are asked questions over general roofing maintenance. One of the most frequently asked questions is about keeping things tidy. We are not contractors and we recommend always consulting one but we have picked up a few tips to help you look after your roof and keep an eye on for some warning signs.
1. Twice Yearly Roof Inspections
Twice a year do a visual, from-the-ground inspection. Look for these problem areas.
- Tiles that are not lying even with the rest
- Damaged edging on the perimeter of your roof line
- Flashing that is loose, starting to buckle or is missing
- If you can see any of the underlay from any side of the roof
- Sagging, loose or broken guttering
- Heavy moss growth or damp spots
- Cleaning the gutters
If you can’t clean your gutters, call a guttering or roofing contractor to clean your gutters at least twice a year — and especially before a big storm. Otherwise, water can back up and rot the fascia and backboards
2. Trim Any Overgrowth
- A storm can send branches crashing into your roof. Trim overhanging tree limbs to avoid this risk.
- Look for moss and algae on the roof.
- Keep your attic properly ventilated ensuring the vents are clear
- Remove debris from the roof
- Trim overhanging branches
- Re-caulk, if necessary.
If a low-grade caulking was used during the roof installation, flashing’s may not hold their seal. Call in a roofing contractor if you think the caulking needs a refresh. Its a difficult job that requires an experienced hand to carry it out correctly.
3. Check Roof Insulation in Attic
Proper insulation and ventilation in your attic can help keep your roof in good condition in winter by preventing ice from forming and reducing moisture. We recommend hiring a roofing contractor for this inspection as they can spot an early problem before it turns into something serious.
If you need roof repairs or need to replace your roof in Dublin or would like to get a free assessment from an experienced roof contractor in Dublin, there is multiple ones available. Just make sure you pick a reliable and local Dublin one (in case he needs to return). Always check for credentials and make sure they have equipment to handle whatever type of roof repair or maintenance you require.